Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

La Salette, Attleboro MA

The National Shrine of Our Lady of LaSalette launched it’s 57th Annual festival of Lights this year in 2010.
I hadn’t heard of the Shrine but found this information on their web site.

In 1846, at La Salette in France, the Blessed Mother appeared to two children. Speaking to them she told them to make her message to "make known to all my people." Inspired by Mary's call for reconciliation with God, the Missionaries of La Salette were founded in 1852 as "ministers of religion" to be "faithful dispensers of the mysteries of God." Their charism focuses on Reconciliation and the Eucharist.
Today, The Missionaries of La Salette wear many hats ~ from caring for the spiritual needs of visitors to our shrines and members of parish communities to serving as chaplains, teachers, youth ministers and counselors. The Province of Mary, Mother of the Americas has over 200 members serving in the United States and Canada, as well as in Argentina and Bolivia, working together with bishops, clergy, parishioners, pilgrims, and others throughout North America and our mission region in South America. Reflective common prayer, celebration of the Eucharist, and faith sharing are essential to achieving our mission to make this message of reconciliation known to all people.
By all accounts there are over 300,000 lights . The display is free. On the weekends you can view the lights by trolley which is only a $3.00 donation. There is also a carousel that runs on a weekend schedule, also $3.00.

Since the Shrine doesn’t open it’s display until 5pm I will have missed the best light for photos which seems to be just after sunset around 4:15-4:45.

I am still in the dark ages when it comes to navigation. In other words, I still use maps. I haven’t been able to justify the cost of a GPS yet. I am starting to waiver a little but there always seems to be something else of more importance.

Anyway, I downloaded the directions and a map from map quest. Past experience with that particular application should have warned me to double check the directions in a map book but I thought I had a “general” idea where I was going. It’s less than 12 miles from my home and at rush hour, about 25 minutes.
I headed out at around 4 pm thinking to get there early. HA!

The big problem came when I got to RT 118. I checked the directions twice because it said to turn left. Left would send me south and I thought Attleboro was north from where I was. I decided to trust the directions and made the left. I really knew I was in trouble when I crossed RT 44 again. After all, if this was right, why not leave me on RT 44 until I reached 118 instead of detouring me off through the woods?

It was hard to find a spot to turn around but eventually I pulled over and checked the map…not the directions. Everything seems to indicate that I was going the wrong way.

I turned around and headed back north on 118 retracing my steps. I finally entered Attleboro but by now it was dark. I kept thinking there should be some signs along the way but I didn’t see anything.

It was just about 5pm and I still hadn’t spotted anything so I was thinking of going home and trying again another night when the whole area snapped into light! It was a really amazing sight...pitch black one second then this amazing blaze of colors. It’s kind of an understatement to say I had found the shrine.

I have to admit, I loved the timing on this. I probably couldn’t pull that off again if I tried…being at just the right spot at just the right time! J

I took tons of pictures. Some are already in my photo stream. Over the next couple of days I will share some with you. I hope you enjoy them.


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just checked out all those pictures on your streaming, they are beautiful and I bet it is even better in person.

Dusty Roads said...

It's pretty amazing. I don't think I saw everything because it was so COLD! I especially liked the lights near the water and the way they reflected. The other thing was the wind so some of the pictures had motion blur as the trees moved the ornaments. I want to go back on a weekend and try for more pictures including the carosel. I can see this becoming an annual visit.