Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

2nd try...Taunton Green

Good Morning!

I made it back to the Taunton Green last night to try to get some better pictures to share. It was warm but a it had stopped raining. The sun even peeked out enough to color the sky pink as it set while I searched for a parking spot.

I tried to find some information on the use of the title “Christmas City” for the city of Taunton but there wasn’t a lot available. The City web page has this reference and that’s about all : Our community has earned the reputation as the Christmas City as visitors converge on Taunton from all corners of New England to witness the annual lighting of historic Taunton Green

 Wikipedia says : The Taunton Green is the name of the city's central square. Early in its history, "The Green" was used as a training ground for militias in the American Revolution. Some say it was also the site of the historic "Liberty & Union"/"Taunton" flag raising in 1774 by the Sons of Liberty, prior to the American Revolution.[9] Since the early 20th century, Taunton Green has temporarily been transformed during the winter holiday season into a grand display of holiday lights, scenes, and extravagant events. This is where and how the city earned its unofficial nickname in the surrounding areas as the "Christmas City."
Whatever the reason they do a great display. Here's my most recent attempt and you can find more on my Flikr page.  Just click on the link  in the margin.







4 comments:

J R said...

But where is the manger scene.. or is that illegal in MASS

Dusty Roads said...

I took pictures of the manger scene. The manger is still empty. I think they add the Baby Jesus on Christmas Day. Those pictures are in my Flickr photo stream but I can add them to the blog. I just felt I was putting in too many pictures when there was a link there. Sorry I left them out.

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures. About time I saw aplace with lots of Christmas scenes.

Dusty Roads said...

The Taunton Green is always a lot of fun. Some of these displays are used over and over again but they always seem new each year.