Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sedona Summary

Before I finish up this series of posts, I thought I would address some of the questions that have come up over this series.

First, the weather:

Sedona is 4500 ft above sea level and is a 4 season vacation destination. They do get snow during the winter. During the summer they do not get the heat that the southern part of the state experiences. It is moderated by the elevation. Sedona boasts 300 sunny days /year!

2010 Statistics
(updated weekly)
This years Extremes

DATA.
DATE(S)
HOTTEST DAY
106.8
ºF7/18
WARMEST NIGHT
76.5
ºF7/16
COOLEST DAY
39.3
ºF1/23
COLDEST NIGHT
26.0
ºF1/24
HIGHEST TEMP CHANGE
45.1
ºF6/23
LOWEST TEMP CHANGE
4.6
ºF1/22
MOST PRECIPITATION
2.60
"1/21
MOST SNOWFALL
1.0
"1/22
HIGHEST AVG HUMIDITY
89.5
%1/22
LOWEST AVG. HUMIDITY
14.4
%6/24
HIGHEST DEW POINT
76.8
ºF7/20
LOWEST DEW POINT
WINDIEST DAY
NIGHTS BELOW 32 ºF
DAYS ABOVE 100 ºF
 
 
At the moment I am planning to return in 2011 in mid- May. The National weather service lists average temperature in Sedona in May & June:
 
 
MayHigh82
Low50
Average66
JuneHigh92
Low58
Average75


Flora and Fauna

The whole time I was in Sedona I heard about rattlesnakes and tarantulas. I didn’t see any snakes of any kind although I did watch my step as I know this is their habitat. As far as tarantula’s are concerned I am extremely happy to report that I didn’t see any of those either as I am extremely arachnophobic! I don’t mind reptiles but I am definitely not a bug fan!

I searched Sedona wildlife and Sedona Flora and Fauna and found tons of information on javelinas, Mule deer, mountain lions, even an animal called the Ringtail but no warnings about rattlesnakes and tarantulas so although I am sure they are around, I wouldn’t skip a trip just to avoid an encounter. When hiking in rocky areas that might be rattlesnake habitat I would just step carefully. A walking stick would be helpful as well as sturdy hiking boots.

Sedona has topped various lists of the most beautiful places in America and everyone from the vendors to shop keepers to tour guides go out of their way to help you have a vacation to remember. Within an easy drive to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, Sedona should be a must-visit for everyone at least one time.

I welcome comments, questions and suggestions and will try to answer all as honestly and thoroughly as I can. I have a few more Sedona posts as I plan my 2011 return visit so if you have heard of some place in Sedona that you think I should visit, please post the comment! I’ll see what time allows me to include.
as of October 14th
http://www.sedonaweather.net/stats.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lets hope it isn't way too hot when we go in May. However this time I bet we see a snake. I am not fond of them.

Dusty Roads said...

I don't think It's going to be too hot. It's still early in the year, in fact, I am going to bring a jacket. I hope we don't see any snakes but they don't want to see us either :)