Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2010

Salem’s Haunted Happenings

Well today was the day I planned to go to Salem but life got in the way. I had some unexpected expenses come up so I after much soul searching I decided I would have to miss it this year. Part of the problem in this instance is the distance.. When I used to go regularly I lived on the north shore, for a time right next door in Lynn. Now that I’m way down in Taunton, it is a hike.

My plan was to combine the Haunted Happenings event with the Maritime Museum so I could make the most of the long jaunt. What prompted me to check my disposable income was a news report about parking in Salem during the Halloween festivities. The report was warning that parking was a minimum of $20.00 / day (CASH) and up IF you could find any parking at all.. They recommended that you head to Salem by “T”. Ok I’m willing…just how do I get there from here???

I headed to the MBTA web page and entered Taunton to Salem and got back 2 itineraries. The first one would take approximately 90 minutes each way...not too bad, probably less than driving and cost $14.50 round trip.  It involved getting to the Quincy Adams Station….(add 30-45 minutes drive time to the 90 minutes & don't forget to inlcude the parking fee  to the trip cost ) then take redline to orange line to commuter rail and walk the last 15 minutes. Whew!

Itinerary 2 was 2 hours (126 minutes) again starting from Quincy Adams T station. Red line to orange line then change to a bus and walk 4 minutes . Travel time is more, round trip fare is less…only $11:00 plus parking.
.
Taking the commuter rail from Lakeville wasn’t any faster or cheaper or easier. You start with the Old Colony line to the red line to the orange line . At North Station it’s back on the Commuter rail, this time the Newburyport/Rockport line. Once at Salem Station finish with a 15 minute walk to downtown Salem. Cost for this convenience…$30.00 round trip.

If I weren’t looking for the least expensive way to Salem I would probably have headed to Braintree to the red line into Boston then walked to Long Wharf and taken the Salem Ferry. Round Trip Ferry ticket…$19.00.

In fact, this sounds so good that I think I will put it on my list for this summer! .Salem is a great destination even if it’s not Halloween. In fact it’s not as crowded at other times of year.

So, Sorry Haunted Happenings, maybe next year.


photo from Woman's World Magazine  
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the time we went to Salam that one year. I found it to be very entertaining and informative. I still remember that play that was put on that night. However the traffic was too much. Hope next year you have a better chance at getting up there.

Dusty Roads said...

I just to need to plan for it. I am scrambling around to cover things to post and didn't think about the time or the money to do everything. Either work or money seems to be a limiting factor LOL...Like I said..better planning is needed :)