Search This Blog

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Heading Home, Farewell Sedona

Well my vacation is coming to an end. I was up early and loaded the car, one last walk through of the condo to be sure I hadn’t left anything behind and too soon it was time to point my car south to Phoenix.
I didn’t expect anything today . My whole goal was to get to the airport and return the rental without getting lost. But as if the area was giving me one last reason to remember this trip, as I headed out of Red Rock Country, there on the horizon were the Hot Air Balloons. I had looked into taking one of the rides but they had been booked but now I had a chance to see them sailing over the desert just north of Cottonwood.
Since I had allowed myself plenty of time to get to Phoenix, I pulled over and took some pictures. Just south of Clarksville I spotted another balloon. This one was lower and closer and headed right toward me. I had to stop and grab a few shots of that one too. This one passed over me so close that I could hear the whoosh of the heater. What a great sight to end my trip!

As I continued south to Phoenix I saw the desert change as we headed into the low desert. Here being hotter and dryer the vegetation was different. Soon I began to see the Saguaro. I had seen it when I arrived on the drive north  but it didn’t make the same impression on me then as it did now. Maybe I was more attuned to the area. South of Phoenix is Saguaro National Park but I would have to settle for these views this trip.


The day before I was mailing a postcard with a large Saguaro Cactus crushing a car. A man in line at the post office with me told me that the picture was probably real. He said the Saguaro has a very shallow root system and after a rain when they are full of water they can weigh up to 6 tons! Certainly enough to crush a car if it falls on it.
 
Just outside of Phoenix I topped off the gas tank in preparation for the car return. That was the only “fly in the ointment”. When I turned the car in it seemed that the original attendant hadn’t indicated that she had given me a complimentary upgrade. Once again I thanked my lucky starts I had the foresight to allow lots of time because it took quite awhile to get that straightened out. In the end, the discount was applied.
Now It was off to the airport and my flight home. I was flying Delta this trip and it was uneventful. We left Phoenix on time, arrived at Cincinnati on time , changed planes and took off on time and landed in Providence …yup, on time. What a pleasure!

I was home within an hour after landing where my fuzzy room mates greeted me at the door. I love traveling but coming home is pretty good too!



http://www.nps.gov/sagu/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All in all it was a very nice trip and your writing makes it seem like I was there with you. However, I was not as hot as you probably were. LOL Love the balloons.

Dusty Roads said...

Oh it wasn't so hot :) It was comfortable most of the time. I have one more post about Sedona before I move onto another topic. I'll post it tomorrow after I get home from work. It deals with the weather and what to expect for temperatures. Remember the Grand canyon was low 70's when I was there.