Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve

I am so excited! I love snorkeling and even better scuba diving. Unfortunately I have let my scuba certification lapse so until I get recertified , snorkeling is it. I didn’t even get a toe in the ocean last year on the Big Island so I was determined to get a chance to experience Hawaii’s pristine waters this year. One of the first things I did when we arrived and got settled in was book a tour to Hanauma Bay and reserve fins, masks and snorkels for both of us. And today is the day!

The tour bus picked us up for the short drive out of Honolulu to Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve. Parking here is at a premium so going by tour bus is a better choice than driving in. You could also take TheBus but the tour will provide the equipment. The bus driver handed out the equipment and checked the fit on the masks and issued instructions to anyone who had not used the equipment before.

Hanauma Bay is one swimming area where life guards are present and is immensely popular. After years of neglect that caused a great deal of damage to the bay, the City & County of Honolulu laid out a plan to restore the area. Strictly limiting the number of visitors and requiring that everyone view an educational film before entering are just some of the restrictions in place here to protect the fragile reef system and animals that live here.

The bay itself is formed from an old volcanic crater that the ocean has flooded. Since it is a formally designated nature preserve there are rules clearly posted as to what is allowed. Swimmers, snorkelers and scuba divers are strongly discouraged from touching the reef as it is easily damaged.

There are rest rooms and concession stands and outdoor showers to rinse salt & sand off equipment as well as yourself. A little tram runs up and down from the crater rim so you don’t have to climb if you don’t want to. We walked down and took the tram back up at the end of the morning.

As soon as we left the auditorium, I headed straight into the bay to don my gear. The water is crystal clear and very calm in the inner part of the bay. It’s also very shallow, only about 3 ft. Aware of the fragileness of the reef, I tried to refrain from putting my feet down and instead let myself drift with my face in the water and used my snorkel for air. The fish life was abundant and colorful, especially for someone who had done all of her diving in the cold waters of the northeast. Other than a stop on a cruise I had taken, this was my first exposure to swimming or snorkeling in warm tropical waters. We only had the morning because the tour we were on would be taking us back in exchange for the next group at 12:00. It was so nice it was easy to lose track of time. So when I forgot I was on a snorkel and not scuba and ducked my head under for a closer look at a little blenny, I nearly drowned myself by inhaling with my snorkel under water ! DUH! I decided then it was time to do a “ time check” and see how Sandy was doing. She loves swimming but was a little leery about going snorkeling.

Back on shore I found her sitting with another group of visitors. She had waded in but changed her mind about trying to snorkel so had settled back on the beach.  I was amazed to find that it was after 11:00 am! I had no idea I had been out there for more than an hour. I was a little concerned as well because of her sunburn from yesterday and mentioned there wasn’t much shade here on the beach. As if in answer to my concerns clouds began to roll in and it started to “mist”. Hanauma Bay is located on the windward side of the island and the windward side gets the moisture laden trade winds. They blow in, hit the mountains in the interior and down comes the rain. The other side of the island gets much less rain.

The rain wouldn’t bother me snorkeling but it kind of put a damper on sitting on the beach. Since it was almost time to meet our tour guide anyway, I reluctantly washed off the equipment and myself and we took the tram back to the crater rim and the parking lot. On the way we, stopped in the souvenir shop and I picked up a guide to the fish in Hanauma Bay to see if I could identify any that I’d seen. No underwater pic. Not knowing what to expect, I didn't bring a underwater camera or housing for my point and shoot. Next time!

On my short list for my next trip O’ahu….a return to Hanauma Bay!

Hanauma Bay has another claim to fame besides being beautiful nature reserve. It was the setting for Elvis Presley’s Blue Hawaii. 
 
 

hanauma-bay-hawaii.com
Amazing Hanauma Bay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I did sit on the beach, but I also had my picture taken with a lady from Japan. Her daughter was of Japanese decent and her mother is the one that wanted her picture taken with me. I had forgotten that the Elvis movie Blue Hawaii was filmed there. I really enjoyed the beach. I think if I go back with you I will invest in some swimming shoes, those rubber ones like people were wearing. That way I wouldn't mind staying out in the water longer. The rock bottom hurt the feet. Oh yes we also have to go and climb Diamond Head.

Dusty Roads said...

That's right! I remember you telling me about the lady from Japan now that you mention it. See, that's what these coments are all about! It's too bad we didn't get to climb Diamond Head last trip. It is a must do for sure next time. Those little water shoes look like a really good idea. I've never used them but might have to consider them myself.