Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Arizona Helicopter Adventures

Ah, the sound of the ringing phone for the wake up call. I’ve never had so many wakeup calls on vacation before but today I need to be at the Sedona Airport bright and early.

On the way I stop at the local McDonalds for a quick breakfast. No “Golden Arches” here. The Sedona zoning laws prevented them somehow so this Micky”D’s: has Green Arches! I just get such a kick out of that!
 
Anyway, after that quick stop it was on to the airport. The concierge had set me up for the tour so I don’t remember now which one it was , but I can tell you that it was great. There are a lot of different ones to chose from, varying by length and cost depending on where you want to go. They can also be combined with jeep tours and picnics. They did offer a Grand Canyon tour but it was a bit pricy for me. Maybe someday I’ll get a chance to do that.

The folks at Arizona Helicopter Aventures were great. I was a little worried about my weight since I had to publicly get on the scales when we took the plane tour in Hawaii. I figured it would be the same here. Instead the clerk just handed me a piece of paper and asked me to write down my weight and hand it back. If I didn’t know it, there was a scale off in a hallway were I could check it, privately. While we waited for the pilot and helicopter to get ready we all stood around chatting about what to expect. All very causal and relaxed. Definitely a great atmosphere. There was another couple and the pilot’s son going up. I think they were using the son to balance the load. The husband was a really big man so I guess I offset him and the son offset the wife. I didn’t feel so bad that way.

Once settled in the ‘copter, we put on headsets that both muted the noise and allowed us to talk to the pilot and each other. The pilot’s son was seated next to me and he would prove to be quite the excited flight companion! When he was calling for his Dad to do a maneuver again, I was making sure I knew where to find the air sick bag…just kidding. My stomach only flip flopped once or twice...kind of like the sensation you get in an elevator when it first begins to move. The ride was exciting enough to make up for any momentary discomfort.

I had my little point and shoot and I am so glad I brought it. The scenery from the air is just breath taking. Even with the window in the way shooting through the glass, I was able to get some decent photos (for me and my skill, great photos). The pilot kept up a running commentary about the things we were seeing. He told us about the Indians that originally settled the area and pointed out some of the cliff dwellings in the area. We flew over RT 179 out of Sedona, which is one of the many roads I had driven and then RT 89 where the trestle bridge crossed Oak Creek Canyon, another road I was very familiar with by now.


Of course we flew by Cathedral Rock and Bell Rock, landmarks of the Sedona area, and into Boynton Canyon ( I think that’s what he said it was) and then it was time to head back. Time really does fly!

When we landed the crew came out and took my camera so I could have a picture to commemorate the trip. I also bought the souvenir DVD which was much better than the one given to us after the Hawaii plane ride.
I whole heartily endorse this tour! It wasn’t as scary as I expected and the sights were beautiful. Our pilot was knowledgeable about the area and very personable. The ground employees were terrific, all in all a great experience. I would definitely do this again.


When I get back to Hawaii again I am definitely going to take the Helicopter tour over Kilauea!
 
http://azheli.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounded like alot of fun. I am not really sure about me getting into a Helicopter I don't like the feeling of falling. Like the pictures..

Dusty Roads said...

I was pretty unsure about it myself
but I'm glad I did it. You don't have to go on this one. I don't need to go again either. There's plenty thatI haven't seen that doesn't require flying! But I do recommend it for those so inclined.