Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Blazin’ M Ranch

Back at the Train Depot I retrieved my car and tried to follow the detailed directions to the Blazin’ M Ranch. I admit, these were really good directions but trying to read them in the dark, drive and look for the landmarks, road signs and turn offs was an exercise in futility. Yup, you guessed it, got lost. Getting lost on vacation isn’t normally a big deal. I find some of the neatest sights when I’m lost, but in this case I had a deadline if I wanted to get there in time for the Dinner Show, which was the whole point!

When I realized I must have missed a turn somewhere, I turned around and retraced my steps, very slowly, pulling over to let other cars pass me so I didn’t have to worry about holding the locals up from wherever they were going.

Finally I spotted the Blazin’ M sign with an arrow and realized where I’d missed the turn.
Back on track I felt like I drove forever even though the directions said it was only a mile. That’s how it always seems when you have no idea where you are, especially in the dark and there was nothing around.
Finally I spotted lights and a parking lot and there was the Ranch sign. I breathed a sigh of relief and headed to the door. They told me dinner was being served but the show hadn’t started so I was able to join the dinner line.

Dinner was served on tin plates and  everyone was seated at long tables. I was tacked onto a table that held another tour group. Once again, they were happy to "adopt" me for the evening.  You passed through a buffet line that had servers to load up your plate. There were biscuits, beans, steak, salad, baked potatoes, chicken, applesauce! As I recall, if you wanted desert (after the all-you-can eat buffet) there was a desert wagon but it wasn’t included in the ticket price, an extra add on. The meal alone made it a great value but there was still the show and the lights were going down to indicate it was about to start.

I remember going to traveling western shows when I was a kid and this was about the same idea. There were the western songs, jokes, the town fool character and lots of laughs and good fun but the best part of the whole show was something I had not seen before. The finale was a rendition of “Ghost Riders in the Sky”. The lights went out and the strobe lights mimicking lightening flashed . Through the big windows we could see a ghost riding a wild steed! As the strobe flashed the horse raced by from window to window and back again, tossing it’s head, rearing and looking, well, wild. The “ghost rider” on his back wore a white ghost sheet that whipped and blew as if in a wind. It was an awesome and totally unexpected end to the night!

After the lights came back up the crowd began to leave and there was the rider and the horse. They waited in the courtyard for the guests to come over , pet the horse, offer tips, pose for pictures and receive kudos for a great job.

The courtyard was something I missed out on by getting lost. I was able to walk around but only one or two shops were still open and they were in the process of closing for the night. The courtyard is made up a series of shops and activities. You can play horseshoes, try your skills in a shooting gallery, have your picture taken in the jail or shop for boots, cowboy hats and other western wear if you get there early enough.


It wasn’t a bad drive back to the condo and I was feeling pretty exhilarated after that finale. Still, it was time to wrap for the night especially since tomorrow I am going to do something I never thought I would ever try. Tomorrow morning I am taking a helicopter ride over Sedona.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
http://www.blazinm.com/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like the Blazin' M Ranch is something that should be done earlier to see the shops. With all that to eat desert would not be on my list either. The show sounds like it was alot of fun. I didn't know you saw traveling western shows when you were growing up.

Dusty Roads said...

Dad was a big fan so when they would have them in the school auditorim, the whole family would go down. I had a picture of one of the "casts" for a long time. Don't know if it's still around. Dad loved that type of humor and he was a big country music fan as I'm sure you remember.

Anonymous said...

Yes I remember how much he liked country music. I think that is why I like it. However I also like other music, but country is my favorite.

Dusty Roads said...

I like just about any kind of music...just depends on my mood. Sometimes I like country, someetimes big band, sometimes rck..especially like oldies and , don't laugh, disco :)As long as it has a good beat. Makes me want to dance.