Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Lunch Truck, O'ahu

After that last post I had to take a short break. Looking at my pictures and reading the poem took me back to Pearl Harbor all over again. I didn’t feel right just moving on with our day. Still life goes on and we have those brave souls to thank for their sacrifice that lets us enjoy the freedoms we have today.

So back at the bus, Kemo asked us if we were hungry. This wasn’t part of the tour but he said he had the time so he would take us “where the locals eat”. We took off in the bus and pretty soon we were pulling into a little shopping mall and parked in the corner was a trailer advertising “Steak Plate Lunch” $6.00. This is the only thing on the menu. No choices here but you didn’t need a choice because this was great! The “plate” was salad, rice , steak and a soft drink! It had a “special sauce” that Kemo insisted we try, squirting it on from a squeeze bottle. It was outstanding or maybe I was just really hungry, I’m not sure but it was one of the best meals I had during our stay! And that’s no exaggeration.!

From the lunch trailer, Kemo was going to Pali Lookout and offered to let us go with him but since we’d been there yesterday we asked for directions to the Dole Plantation instead. Kemo gave us instructions and dropped us off so we could pick up our car. Of course we promptly got lost in spite of Kemo’s detailed directions! We did find the Hawaiian Correctional Facility but that wasn’t anyplace we wanted to be J

We back tracked a bit and tried again and eventually we got to the Plantation but it was too late to go in so we continued the drive around the Island. We passed the surfing centers of the North Shore but the waves were flat. No surfers out. It’s a little early in the season for BIG waves. Those come in the winter and we were still in the “fall”. We passed the Polynesian Cultural Center where we are going tomorrow (without a tour this time). Completing the circle of the whole Island took much less time than the Big Island because O’ahu is so much smaller in size. But what O’ahu lacks in size it makes up for in population and shopping. Oahu is known as “the gathering place” and is the Hub of government and connections to all the other islands.

We got back to the condo just after 6pm and headed up to the 29th floor to watch the sunset. We’d planned to grill up there for dinner but the emotions of the day had taken their toll so it was back to Smorgy’s for their buffet again and then a early night. J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do agree with the "truck lunch". I really was the best. I just wish we had one around here. Yes that was a very emotional day but I had to see the Arizona. It just means too much to the people of the US. Your doing good sis. I just thought of someone else I can send this blog to. Our cousins. I am so slow. LOL

Dusty Roads said...

I may have found the Pearl Harbor visit very sad but I'm very glad I went. I just wish the human race could learn to get along so that we don't need to have such sad reminders.
I'm glad you thought of someone more to share with. It doesn't have to be relatives. Anyone who might want to hear about the places I've been and sometime we've been might like it. And if they have been , they can add thier comments too.