Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Heading to the Grand Canyon Railroad

 My wakeup call came through at 6 am. I was headed up to Williams to take a ride on the Grand Canyon Railroad. My reservation requested that guests arrived 1 ½ - 2 hours before departure. Made me think of airport security, and I was told by our concierge that Williams is about a 2 hour drive from Sedona. So I hoped that I had allowed myself enough time for a 10:00am departure.

As I left the condo I noticed it was cold enough to see my breath so I went back for a jacket. After all the Grand Canyon was an even higher elevation than Sedona.

The drive through Sedona was short and sweet. Nothing was open. It was like a ghost town compared to the hustle and bustle of yesterday. Of course it was very early.

Just north of Upper Sedona RT 89 enters Oak Creek Canyon and one of the many National Forests in the area. It’s a winding, climbing road trip as Flagstaff is 4000 ft higher than Sedona. Once I reach Flagstaff, I head west to Williams.

But back to RT 89...No one warned me that RT 89 became a series of winding turns with cliffs on one side and shear drops on the other! I don’t know that I was mentally prepared for a pre dawn drive under those conditions. Maybe if I’d have know, I would have taken the longer route around this section of highway, but it wouldn’t have been as much fun. My rental car had a thermometer in the dash that gave the outside temperature. As I drove and climbed I watched the temperature drop until at one point it was a mere 32 degrees F.

The road finally leveled out as I drove through huge forests of towering Ponderosa pines and there was Flagstaff! Following the signs I connected with the highway to Williams and the rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. My biggest concern at that point was if I would be able to find the train station. I shouldn’t have worried. The exit was marked and as soon as I took the exit there were signs and there was the station, very easy.

The Grand Canyon Railway used to be called the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company. It made it’s first passenger run to the Grand Canyon’s South Rim in 1901. The railway hasn’t been in continuous use. It was taken out of service when automobiles became the preferred means of travel but in 1969 the railway reopened it’s service under the name of Grand Canyon Railway. Since then it has carried an average of 180,000 passengers a year to Grand Canyon National Park.

The Grand Canyon Railway uses restored steam engines in the summer but in the cooler fall and winter months when sudden snow storms can be a problem,  the use of the more powerful diesel engines is required as a safety precaution. I was hoping for the steam engine but it being October, the engine was diesel .

Inside the Terminal was a cozy gift shop with some really comfortable chairs. I was afraid I was going to doze off in them and miss the train while I waited. . On the mantel of the lovely stone fireplace was a model of the “Polar Express”. The staff told me they run special “Polar Express” trips for Christmas. I forced myself out of the comfy chairs and went out to explore around the station. There was a restored Steam engine that literally glistened in the morning sun. There was also a really old, antique steam engine on display. If you are a train buff, you would love this!

As the sun came up more it was beginning to warm up a little but there was still a chill in the air. I was very glad I had my jacket. After passing the antique steam engine I saw some bleachers and on the side of the trail leading to them, 3 “Boot Hill” style graves…(Hmmmm, me thinks I may be about to get more than just a train ride..). The Graves had headstones the read “Here Lies Large (MINIME) Barge”, “Here Lies John Moore , Shot by Gabby with a 44”, and “With all the luck, Here lies Buck”. At least they have a sense of humor!

I headed on over to the bleachers and found a few other guests there . They were chatting with a couple of cowboys. The cowboys had a couple of horses and people were just milling around and petting them. As more people began to arrive the bleachers began to fill up and the cowboys backed off a little, but only a little.

The show they put on was a typical “Wild West” show with names like Mr. Sage Brush and bad jokes …so bad you had to laugh, and lots of blanks being shot. A sheriff arrives in the nick of time and the outlaws ride off in a hurry. There was lots of crowd involvement...even I got picked on and had my picture taken with one of the “cowboys/outlaws. The show probably lasted 30-45 minutes and as soon as it was over we got the call of “All Aboard” and headed for our train cars.

My seat was in a “Dome” car called the Kokopelli. The Dome car is an observation car with domed windows for unobstructed views. It is also a “child free” car/ adults only. There are other cars geared specifically for families with young children. I believe the railroad provides entertainment geared to children in those cars.

The car was full with just about every seat taken. Turns out that the other seats belonged to a tour group from Florida. They were all very friendly and happily “embraced me “ as one of their own for the trip.

Well, as this post is getting kind of long, and the story has just begun so I think I will break here and pick up the actual train ride and my first sight of the Grand Canyon in the next post. Until then, Happy trails, pardner.J



 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that was very interesting. Glad you were doing the driving on a winding road. I bet it woke you up in a hurry. LOL

Dusty Roads said...

Yes it woke me up and got the heart pumping. At the time I really hated it but afterward I was just as glad that I drove it. In fact, I drove several times after that!