Search This Blog

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sorry I haven't written!

Sorry I missed a couple of days. I’ve been busy at work and suffering from a cold so when I get home I just fall asleep. I know, that’s no excuse but the cold has kept me sidelined too so I haven’t been out to do any day trips since the Jack O’ Lantern Spectacular at the Franklin Park Zoo. I know, I know, you don’t want to hear it. So lets get back to the good stuff…chatting about places to go and things to see.

I just read a great article in the Boston Globe. My friend Victor gets the Sunday Globe and brings me the travel section. The November 7 edition was particularly good. The front page article was titled Coast-to-Coast Sidekicks and it was a great article about driving cross country. It talked about stopping in Gettysburg and taking a CD tour of the battles that took place there during the Civil War. Now I’m no history buff, but that sounded interesting. Plus if we were hanging around in the evening there are reports of ghosts of the civil war soldiers that died on the battle field. (I saw that on Syfi’s Ghost Hunters). Who knows, I might see something that would scare me half to death!

The author went on to talk about taking Interstate 90 into South Dakota and taking the 240 Loop Road through the Badlands. When I saw that I said, WOW! I’ve been there and done that. In fact that’s some of what I will tell you about when we start the New Year! I’m saving the South Dakota trip for January!

The 2nd article…under the fold, as they say…was about visiting a West African nation and the religion of Voodoo. Very interesting but I don’t know if I want to go there. It’s one of those exotic pieces that makes you feel like …"Oh I want to see that!"…untill you think about the difficulties of traveling in underdeveloped countries. I like adventure but the safe, soft kind. I’m getting too old for Indiana Jones type travel.

Closer to home did you know there is a replica of the Chapel of Our Lady of Ephesus. In Vermont? The original chapel is in Turkey but it’s said that the replica is so accurate that it could pass as the original. It’s located in Jamaica, VT. Yes, that's Jamaica ,mon, I didn’t know there was a Jamaica, VT either.

There was a lot more in that issue but the last, best article for me was the 10 Coastal hikes. These were various places in New England from Connecticut to Maine. Some I was aware of and others are new to me but you can be sure you will be hearing more about these as I intend to hit them all over the next year. Most are fairly short, between 2-8 miles so easily hiked in a day. And except for the Maine hikes, they are close enough that I wouldn’t even need to plan to stay overnight.

As for the Maine hikes, that might be a mini vacation. I want to get up to Arcadia National Park too so I may have to revisit how I’m going to make the most of a trip like that. Suggestions welcome! They say there are carriage roads all around Mount Desert Island in Arcadia and they are good for biking or walking but no cars.

 Ahhh as always when I start talking about the places I want to go and see and the things I want to do, each one leads to another and I end up sighing…so many places to go, so little time. Maybe that should be my mantraJ

More tomorrow....Ciao!
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only 2-8 miles. Well that depends on how steep the hike is. After all that one in Hawaii was just a little jaunt. LOL I walk two miles a day, but I am not in that good shape to do 8 miles and back in one day.

Dusty Roads said...

LOL I remember..well I guess I'll find out. It sounded like most are along the shoreline which would be kind of flat...unless your clambering over rocks like the Cliff Walk in Newport!

Anonymous said...

Now that was a challenge. I was more afraid of falling that being worried about how far the walk was. I was getting very hot and tired and hungry. However going back and going in the other direction might be nice to do.

Dusty Roads said...

That might be nice but there's also a lighthouse down there that we still haven't checked out. As for the cliff walk, I liked the part behind the mansions the best, easy walking, no worries about falling into the ocean. Someone did fall in shortly after we were there and I think they died.