Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

In Search of Thanksgiving~Plimouth Plantation

Plymouth, MA. home of the Pilgrims, the Mayflower, Plymouth Rock, Thanksgiving, or so we are taught in school. But how much of this is myth, legend and just plain misinformation?

Since it is Thanksgiving time, I thought a trip to Plymouth to visit the Plimouth Plantation might just answer some of my questions.

Plimouth Plantation has a special Thanksgiving day feast re-creation and you can buy tickets to attend. Traditional 17th century foods are cooked as they were in the 17th century...no modern ovens here. But I was more in search of the dynamics between the Native Americans and the English Colonists, known today as the Pilgrims.

Today seemed like a perfect day to head to Plymouth. The sun was trying to peek through a cloud cover and the temps were approaching 60 degrees. Unheard of for the end of November but perfect for wandering through an outdoor exhibit.



This time of year a lot of schools take field trips to the Plimouth Plantation and the Mayflower II as part of their Thanksgiving curriculum but they usually go in the morning so I planned my visit for around noon. That proved to be a bit early as the place was still packed with school children. There is a separate parking lot for buses and that was full. They had buses parking in the back of the car parking lot too. But I was there so there was no turning back. I would just have to brave the munchkin crowds.

You enter the Plimouth Plantation through a wooden entryway and then down a flight of wooden stairs. There is a path for strollers and handicap access.


First stop is the Henry Hornblower II Visitor Center.

 Here there is an orientation movie, (which is about 15 minutes long and quite good), 3 distinctive gift shops, a cafĂ©, rest rooms plus special exhibits. Today there is one called Thanksgiving, Memory, Myth & Meaning. Sounds like exactly what I’m looking for.




I purchased a combo ticket as it was only $4.00 more to add the Mayflower II to the ticket, a savings of $6.00. (The ticket for the Mayflower is $10.00 when purchased separately). With a complimentary map in hand I headed out to the first stop…The Wampanoag Homesite.


 
 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now didn't we go to Plymouth and the Mayflower a couple of years ago?? Or was that the plantation we went to??

Anonymous said...

Then the Mayflower. I tend to forget what I was writing about. LOL

Dusty Roads said...

Yes we were at the Plimouth Plantation and then the Mayflower II. I can't get at my pictures from that trip because they are on the old computer...eventually I will get them off but for now , new ones. I have several more posts ..the Wampanoag Homesite, The 1627 English Village, the Mayflower..each to have their own moment of fame.

Anonymous said...

awesome job debbie..glad you were able to go..love the pictures too..i am getting so educated on yur blog..lots of things you write about i wasn't aware..very informative and interesting..very proud of you and your hard work..keep up the great work..all your hard work shows....

your work buddy and friend Mya

Dusty Roads said...

Hi Mya. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I am thrilled that you enjoyed it and for you support! I hope you'll come back often and add any comments or questions that come to mind and of course , feel free to share it.
I'll see you at work and Thanks again:)