Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

DeSoto National Memorial

My first night at Cypress Point was fine. I tried out the Jacuzzi and after managing to drench the bathroom got the jets pointed in the right direction. Just the right touch after being on a plane all day.

Just as I finished breakfast the phone rang!? Now that’s something different because it wasn’t my cell phone but the condo phone. I was even more surprised when I answered it and this man’s voice asked for ME!…Now don’t get excited. It turned out to be the concierge calling so see if everything was satisfactory. That’s a first. Just shows this is a classy place. He told me to stop by the desk as he had some discount coupons and a gift for me. It turned out to be coffee but I took it even though I don’t drink coffee. I have a friend coming later in the week and he does so he can use it.

On the downside he asked me if I’d been to an owners meeting yet (read sales meeting) and I told him no. I would have “ducked out” but he told me if I go he will give me two tickets to Universal Studios for the price of one or $45.00/each. With an offer like that I decided I couldn’t refuse.

With that business behind me I headed out to the highway. I wanted to get a National Park stamp and there was a National Park Monument at Bradenton which is just south of St. Petersburg. It took about 2 hours to get there so I arrived in Bradenton about 1pm. I had a quick lunch at DQ and figured I’d be at DeSoto National Memorial by 2pm. Ha! I may have to start thinking about GPS. This chasing around and getting nowhere is starting to get old! I asked the whole crew at DQ where it was and no one had any idea. I drove on down to a gas station and asked in there and no one had any idea either. Strike two! (total locals asked ..5) They did have maps (at a cost of $5.95) While I had the map spread out a delivery man asked me if I needed help. He wasn’t sure where the Memorial was located but he did know the street and I was way on the other side of town. I had to get back on the highway and back track 1 exit then I had to drive all the away across town. Lets put it this way, I didn’t get to the Memorial until just about 3:30! It closes at 5pm. The first sign was at the corner of the street the Memorial was located on. Since it’s a national monument I expected more signage or I would have gotten better directions before heading out here.

The Park Service Volunteer was really nice and we had a great chat. Then I went into watch the movie which was pretty good. With only about 45 minutes to closing I headed out to the nature trail. I don’t know how long the whole thing is but I’d love to come back and walk it from beginning to end now that I know where it is. The grounds are beautiful and they have plenty of benches if you just want to sit back and enjoy the view.

I’m not going to go into more detail in this post. I’m going to try to upload some pictures. If successful I think the pictures will speak for themselves.
J  
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures. Love the color of the resort. My favorite BLUE. :-) I would love to go on the trail as well. I have been to Florida more than once, but always in the Fort Lauderdale area. Got some nice tickets as well. You were usually pretty lucky. Enjoy the time there. Humid here with a thundershower this morning.

Dusty Roads said...

Thanks :) That Bird picture was a challenge to get but in the end it came out pretty good. Great weather so far. New post tonight if I don't fall asleep first!