Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Another Hawaiian Vacation

I told you about my first visit to Hawaii in an earlier series of posts that I called My Great Hawaiian Adventure. I know I never thought I’d be going back again especially within a year but the Islands just kept calling to me and I couldn’t wait to go back.

I told my sister I was going to go again and to my surprise, she wanted to go again too. Since we went to the Big Island on the first trip, we chose Oahu for the return. Part of this was because we wanted to see Pearl Harbor and part was because I want to see all the islands at least once before I start going back for repeat trips. I know I have a long “to-do” list for the Big Island and I still plan to go back there, just not this time.
We decided to meet in Connecticut and fly out of Bradley International Airport so we made a reservation at the Days Inn in Windsor Locks. We checked in there on Saturday afternoon. Our flight out was at 9:35 am the next morning with a layover in Newark. But once on the plane in Newark we’d have the long cross country flight all the way to Honolulu. Not even a stop in California before heading out over the Pacific.

In 2006 we flew American Airlines. In 2007 we flew Continental and I have to rate the Continental service much better than American Airlines. The American flight was strictly “no frills” and even though the Continental flight was supposed to be the same thing, they gave us meals, which we did not get on the American flights. The movies were better on the Continental flight too! Actually, I don’t remember if we even had movies on the American flight, obviously if we did it did not leave a lasting impression! It made enough of a difference that both my sister and I commented on it. Yup, if I were rating the airlines, this round would go to Continental.
 
When we got to the airport to pick up the rental car, the airport location was closed so we had to take the shuttle to another location. I felt really stupid when I couldn’t find the emergency brake on the rental but felt better when the girl at the rental kiosk couldn’t find it either. Eventually one of the employees figured it out and got us ready to head on our way. The nice rental car people gave us maps and directions and assured us it would be easy to find the condo. They probably hadn’t counted on us. Maybe it’s easy for most people but we managed to mess up right out of the airport. It was still light when we picked up the car but it was quite dark when we finally found the condo! Oh well, we were “sight seeing”.

We were staying at the Fairway Villa, a high rise time share right on the Ala Wai Canal and about a 3 block walk to Waikiki Beach. A great location!  The condo was a one bedroom and it was petite, especially compared to Sea Mountain but we are comparing a rural location to a dense urban one where space is at a premium. The spare bed was a Murphy bed that pulled down and took up most of the living room, maybe not as convenient as a pull out couch but much more comfortable. After all, we weren’t going to be living there for long, just the week and how much time were we going to spend in the condo anyway? It had what we needed, kitchen, bathroom, two beds and a washer & dryer. That’s my favorite amenity. I love bringing home clean clothes instead of a laundry bag full that needs to be washed.

Well, I had had enough adventure and “sightseeing” for the first day just trying to locate the Fairway Villa. I was ready for bed. We’d finalize our plans in the morning when we had a chance to see how jet lagged we were.

More to come :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good start. Yes I prefered Continental to American Airlines. Loved the movies and old TV shows. I see on the earlier one that you were holding a gator. Better you than me. Now that your back I think you brought the rain with you. The weather man did say the rain was coming up from the south.

Dusty Roads said...

We had some rain in Florida but not much. We didn't get rained out at all. Saturday was the worst day. Cloudy and overcast. That was the day I held the 'gator.

Anonymous said...

Sat. was a beautiful day up here. Nice and sunny and temps only in the low 70s.

Dusty Roads said...

Glad there was some sun somewhere :)I think Florida needs rain from what I heard people saying.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blog posts about Fairway Villa in Waikiki to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, drop me a line at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Jane