Search This Blog

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Big Island Postscript

Well we made it back home. But there are a few things I didn’t mention. If you go to the Big Island and spend anytime in Hilo you will end up on Banyan Drive. The trees are amazing! There is also a park, Liliuokalani Park, which is a Japanese garden park that is over 100 yeas old. The Banyan trees on Banyan Drive are relative youngsters having been planted only about 50 years ago.

The other post script is that Mom said she was disappointed that she didn’t see a more energetic eruption or experience an earthquake. It turns out that we just missed the earthquake. About an hour after we took off from Honolulu a major earthquake stuck Hawaii closing the airport and causing a great deal of damage on the Big Island. Many of the roads we had just traveled on were crumbling, buckled or buried under landslides. So Mom just missed getting her wish! I, for one, am glad we missed that! I guess that just proves the old saying “be careful what you wish for”.

I still can’t believe that I spent a whole week in an Island Paradise and never once went swimming, snorkeling or scuba or “snuba” diving. More stuff for my “to do” list. Clearly I have no choice but to go back!

                                                            Aloha



http://www.pdc.org/PDCNewsWebArticles/2006Hawaiiearthquake3/hieq3.html


http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/10/16/powerful_earthquake_rocks_hawaii/


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Hawaii_earthquake

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good. Now on to the next one. Are you going to do the Plymouth vacation for Oahu one??

Dusty Roads said...

Next one is my upcoming vacation. Heading to Florida but I don't plan to go see the mouse this trip. Check back often to see what I'm up too :)