Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

The Foothills Inn

Once out of the airport we took out first right and followed that road all the way into Rapid City. Coincidentally it was RT 44 which is the same RT number I live on back in Massachusetts. Made me feel right at home.

The Foot Hills Inn is located on La Crosse St which runs between RT 44 and RT 90. I like RT 90 too. Another familiar RT. number .This location would prove to be ideal for the driving around we were going to be doing. To get to Lacrosse we just had to make a right from RT 44. We crossed Anamosa St. and there was the Foothills Inn on the left. We also spotted a Perkins Restaurant, a Golden Corral and a Walmart. Couldn’t be any easier than that.

Check in was quick and easy too. No hassles and the staff was more than happy to answer questions about the area. They also reminded us that we could get our breakfast in the morning right there at the front desk. There was no restaurant in the motel.

The room was nice and large with two very large beds. It was on the 2nd floor but close to the stairs. We parked the car by the rear entrance which opened right onto the stairs…up one flight and we were “home”.
Free Wi-Fi in the room too. They also had a public computer and a printer in the lobby, both free.
Sandy made herself comfortable as soon as we were in the room.

The first topic of discussion was where to go for dinner. I had never been to a Golden Corral so that was our immediate destination. However, as we headed out to dinner we noticed the Walmart was right there next to the Golden Corral. I’ve noticed that in high tourist areas, Walmart often has the same souvenirs and T shirts as the souvenir stands but at a much lower price so we detoured there before dinner.
The Golden Corral was great! If you have never been to one it’s a buffet but it had one of the best varieties I’ve seen at one of these types of restaurants and the food was good. I wish we had one near me but then I’d be eating there all the time and I’d end up getting fatter instead of thinner and be broke from eating out all the time!

With a full stomach and a couple of time zones under our belts we headed back to the room. I hated wasting the light. It was late afternoon and there was still a couple of hours of daylight. It was coming up on the Golden Hour photographers talk about when the light is best for taking pictures. I was tired but I didn’t want to waste this opportunity.

I told Sandy I was going to take a drive to see if I could find the Badlands loop. She was tired but game and agreed to come along. I think she was glad she did.

Tomorrow I’ll share the story and pictures of the Badlands Loop, Badlands National Park.

Still taking suggestions for the Name that Prairie Dog.. 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have missed the badlands for anything. I would really love to go back there again. It was so nice the day we were there. The sun shinning made it worth it. You just had to put that picture in didn't you. LOL

Dusty Roads said...

I only left you in because you already had me post it on FB when we were out there. It does illustrate the story. I can take you out if you prefer. It's also the one where you are most in shadow.

Anonymous said...

Naw, I was being funny. Or trying to. Besides it isn't a close up, thank God or that would scare people.

Dusty Roads said...

I would probably have laughed if publishing pictures with people in them weren't such a sensitive issue. I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable with any post or picture. If I ever say anything or publish any picture that you don't want in here, just let me know. I'll take it out. This is a Fun space!